NEW Instructions for Connecting to Library Databases from On or Off Campus
Why and how do I connect from on and off-campus?
As a member of the Vanguard University community, you have full access to a host of electronic resources, including databases, journals, music, images, videos, archives and ebooks. Because these are licensed subscriptions, only students, faculty, and staff of Vanguard have access to them. You have the ability to get to these resources on and off campus 24 hours, 7 days a week. A secure web proxy allows for this access.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Where do I go to access library resources from on and off campus?
The library webpage allows access to the databases and electronic resources: library.vanguard.edu.
- Who may use the web proxy?
Current VUSC students, faculty and staff, as well as emeritus faculty, are eligible.
- When going to a licensed library electronic resource, what information is required in the login and password fields?
Students, faculty, staff, and emeritus faculty can now use their Vanguard University username and password to gain access to the library resources through the proxy server.
- Do I have to log in every time I open my browser?
Yes. You will be prompted for your username and password when you try to access the resources from on and off campus. Once you have logged in, you can use different databases without being prompted for your username and password. If you close your browser, you will need to log in again.
- What kind of computer do I have to use?
You can use a Mac, a PC, a mobile device or a tablet to access the databases and other electronic resources.
- Do I need to set up my computer to be able to access the databases from off campus? No. You just need to use your username and password to log in.
- If I’ve set up my computer from home to get into the old proxy, do I need to change that?
Yes. You’ll have to set up your browser to automatically detect proxy settings.
- Do I need to use a specific browser to access the databases from off campus?
You can use Mozilla, Internet Explorer, Safari, Chrome, or any browser you choose.
- Who should I contact if I have difficulties accessing the databases?
Call our Information Technology Department at (714) 619-6500 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When you attempt to access one of the licensed library web resources, you will be prompted to enter your username and password, the same ones you use to access your VU email.
If you are a current student, faculty, staff member, or emeritus faculty, and you do NOT yet have your VU username and password, please contact the IT Department at (714) 619-6500 to obtain this information.
For Internet Explorer:
Click on the tools menu.
Then internet options.
Uncheck the “use automatic configuration script” and take out the URL from the box below.
Click on “automatically detect settings.”
Click ok again.
Click on the menu tab at the top left.
Click on the options tab.
Then advanced tab.
Next to Connection, click on the settings tab.
Uncheck the “automatic proxy configuration URL” box and take out the URL from the box below.
Click on “auto-detect proxy settings for this network.”
Click on ok.
Click on ok again.